The fourteenth edition of the "Independent media" program is planned for this year. Nearly 26 journalists from Belarus, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine will be invited to Poland. During study visits, they will have an opportunity to visit the editorial offices of newspapers and magazines, radio and TV stations, internet portals and information agencies. They will acquaint themselves with the work and experiences of their Polish colleagues. The study visits will be tailored to the professions and specializations of the guests. Also planned are seminars and lectures on such subjects as: the transformation of the Polish media after 1989, laws regulating public and private media, investigative journalism, media ethics, journalists' organizations, advertising and the media, the problem of competition in the media, political lobbying and independence of the media.
The program is financed by the National Endowment for Democracy (USA).
Participants will be selected by means of an open competition, with the winners chosen by the social Council of the Programme, consisting of:
* Grzegorz Miecugow (television TVN) - Chairman of the Council,
* Roman Imielski (the daily newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza),
* Michał Kacewicz (the weekly magazine Newsweek Poland),
* Anna Łubian-Halicka (television TVP Warszawa),
* Jarosław Szostakowski (Polish?Czech?Slovak Solidarity Foundation),
* Bartosz Węglarczyk (the daily newspaper Rzeczpospolita).
The Council will also evaluate implementation of the Project.
Detailed information on the project, together with application forms, can be obtained at the Foundation's office or here (ZIP, DOC format).